Auto Theft #1 Property Crime in U.S.
- Professional thieves want to steal your vehicle and strip it down to untraceable parts as quickly as possible. Thieves can then sell these parts to unsuspecting consumers and make a quick buck. In order to deter these types of thieves you must make an anti-theft system that is not easy to circumvent. That's the beauty of Vin-Mark!
- To counter automobile theft Congress enacted the Anti-Car Theft Act of 1992. This Act requires manufacturers to label major components on automobiles. The problem remains that these labels may be easily removed. Vin-Mark takes labeling these components to a new “high tech” level!
- A CAR'S INDIVIDUAL PARTS,IF STOLEN AND SOLD, MAY BE WORTH UP TO 3 TIMES MORE THAN THE CAR ITSELF.
- According to the FBI, in 2010 over 49,700 motorcycles were stolen in the U.S. amounting to over $325 Million in losses.. In fact, one motorcycle is stolen every 12 MINUTES. Although there is little gathered data in regards to snowmobile and personal watercraft theft, those in the industry know the problem of theft of these vehicles is a serious problem.
How do you deter a professional thief?
- Make an Anti-Theft system that is not easy to circumvent. A thief would have to sand down parts, marked with Vin-Mark, through the clear coat, paint and primer, down to the bare metal or fiberglass and then repaint the part! Independent body shops tests have shown that Vin-Mark can still shine through when just painted over.
What is vehicle cloning?
- Vehicle cloning is when a vehicle is Vehicle cloning is when a vehicle is totaled and then sold at auction. A thief is then asked to find and steal a duplicate to that car. The factory installed I.D. Labels are then removed from the totaled car and put on the stolen one. The stolen vehicle is then sold as a "Repaired Total Loss" to an unsuspecting party. Vin-Mark can help deter this type of theft by marking the full vehicle identification number on the panels and wheels. he stolen vehicle is then sold as a "Repaired Total Loss" to an unsuspecting party. Vin-Mark can help deter this type of theft by marking the full vehicle identification number on the panels and wheels.
According to FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin
- Labeling Automobile Parts to Deter Theft; "Auto theft investigators, by a strong margin, believe that marking parts not only aid in making arrest but also help to prosecute chop shop operators and thieves"..."Investigators proposed that label manufacturers develop the technology that will leave a footprint with the ACTUAL VIN"(Vehicle Identification Number)* That's exactly what Vin-Mark does!